Salted Caramel Ice Crème brûlée
What could be more satisfying than cracking through the crunchy top of a Crème Brûlée to reveal a sweet and creamy layer beneath? Unlike the traditional recipe though, which relies on plenty of sugar and heavy cream, our reinvention of this classic dessert takes a healthier approach. Plus, it's easier to make than you might think. Read on to find out how.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 tub Oppo Salted Caramel
- 4tsp coconut sugar
- A pinch of Maldon Salt
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and allow it to sit at room temperature to soften for 10-20 minutes.
- Distribute the ice cream between four heatproof ramekins and smooth out each with the back of a spoon until the surface inside each is flat and smooth.
- Pop the ramekins back into the freezer for at least 30 minutes so that the ice cream firms up hard.
- Retrieve the ramekins from the freezer and sprinkle a teaspoon of coconut sugar onto the surface of each.
- Use a blow touch to gently brûlée the coconut sugar until it starts bubbling and caramelising (or alternatively, pop them under a hot grill for 3-5 minutes). Then get the ramekins back into the freezer.
- When you’re ready to tuck in simply retrieve your crème brulee, sprinkle a few grains of salt on top, grab a spoon and tap away.